Search This Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2024

Gajra - Garland with the fragrance of Love

It was one of those usual Sunday. But mine was special because I was gradually ramping-up back with  my wellbeing, recovering after a two days of bed-rest due to flu. And I believe that was partially because I had fun filled and carefree bath under the rain showers (absolutely no regrets!! but only love :)) and partially because of all the extra work stress at office, my revolt and eventually the emotional breakdown...:(

Never mind, I was in the 'today' and back to the event that touched me the most. It was the Gajra's. 
Gajra's are floral garlands worn as hair accessories, primarily by the women of the house. I do not know much about the cultural significance of them but I get deeply allured by them. I believe Gajra's adds a magical touch to a women's radiance and vital energy of bliss and grace. I have also seen my mom's love for it and she wearing them at rare occasions.

While writing this post, I remembered - Twelve years ago, I had a chance to travel with my roommate to her native place and we visited a temple near Vijaywada (Andhra) where the women's are required to follow dressing rules and are allowed with a traditional attire only. Because I was carrying only indo-western dresses, I choose one from my friend's old traditional dress stock -The south-indian Half Saree and upon her Mom's insistence wore a Garja too. There was a deep sense of Joy and freedom. I somehow felt whole and at peace. 

Probably getting ready in an Indian traditional attire was something deeply rooted to my childhood happy memories. It reminded me of Navratri Festival, when Mom would dress-me up in different Sarees each of those nine days celebration and I would go to play Garba (Dandiya). I would spend hours in-front of the mirror just staring at me, in the sheer awe of my being in traditional dress. Those are one of my most cherished memories.  

.               No photo description available.


          (The south-indian Half Saree)

Well, today it wasn't me who had donned the Gajra, but my neighbour, her mother-in-law and distant relative as they were heading for a family function. When they got ready and were waiting for the cab to arrive, I offered to click pictures so that they don't feel bored with the unexpected long-wait for the cab and they all happily agreed. They were two elderly couples and a younger one (my friend & her husband). 

The ladies were all beautifully dressed in different bright silk sarees and all had tied the Gajra to their hairs. The flowers looked fresh and added a different aura to each of their personalities. I complimented them for those Gajra's and my friend acknowledged that her husband went out this morning and on his return he picked some from a flower vendor and surprised us all. 

The thing that touched me most was how pure and wholistic is the love of a guy who understands his women and her needs without even being asked for. It shows the devotion, dedication and humbling sensitivity which is translated in such gracious gesture. 

Each of those ladies (A mother, a Wife and an Aunt) was flaunting their Gajra's like a Queen and swayed it  with an inexplainable pride. May the feminine continues to bloom in the unspoken love of the masculine and May each of these energies weave and blossom in there highest potential navigating above and far from the shackles of false ego, shame, guilt, stereotype and baseless societal view points. 

No comments: