Sunday, May 7, 2023

A sense of maternal town came flooding back

Yesterday my maternal uncle had called to ask me - Tanu if you have time over this weekend and can visit a person at a Government Hospital and if needed, to extend monetary help in my capacity.

To today.

I had just entered the main entrance of Victoria hospital, one closer to the Metro station and headed towards the other gate closer to the children's ward and ICU unit, following Google location shared by Krishna.

On reaching the location, I called Krishna and he said he had seen me and was coming towards me. I turned my head sideways and to my left..a few steps away, I saw him waving at me. He came closer and bowed down as a gesture to touch my feet - a customary greetings from the younger to elderly or a way of expressing respect; it was the later in my case as definitely I wasn't elder to him in anyway but I was the maternal Niece from the town he worked at and he was related to my maternal uncle. In that native (Seoni, Banapura) there is a saying and belief that a Nephew is considered equal to hundred Bhramins and in my case it's the Neice.

Krishna is a daily wager and knows farming. He was working with my maternal uncle at  farm and was in Bangalore to get his two and a half month baby treated who is admitted to ICU for a operation gone wrong.

At that gesture of he bowing down to touch my feet flooded me with feelings and a sense of responsibility towards the place I grew-up, towards such innocent and deeply courageous individuals who sleep under the sky,  on the lap of mother earth and breath to live nothing else; unlike me to earn, eat or dream any fancies of life. They look after mother earth and surrender to her wholeheartedly and are such elevated souls with deeper acceptance for life - such that detachment to materialistic needs comes so easy to them. 

Populace in whom the culture is itched on one's soul such that  he considered me one amongst his own irrespective of it being connected by blood or not at all. Or even haven't ever known or met.

I was and am deeply stirred and wondered what did I do to have been bestowed with so much respect and trust?

No comments: